Skip to main content
The Fall of Lisa BellowThe Fall of Lisa Bellow by Susan Perabo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a haunting story of a girl who witnesses a robbery and abduction in broad daylight in the Deli Barn where she was trying to get a root beer. The unfortunate one, Lisa Bellow, is led to her kidnapper's car, and our girl Meredith is left in shock. While Meredith Oliver, an eighth grader with her fair share of middle school woes, is home safe with her loving family, she doesn't feel much like the 'survivor' in this ordeal.

Susan Perabo does a fabulous job spinning of web of ordinary family tensions, teenage angst, enduring love, with the occasional strand of 'strange.' The farther you travel along this web, the less certain you become of what is real and what is imagined.

I thoroughly enjoyed this journey from normal to 'somewhere else,' as much as I enjoyed the down-to -earth style of writing about a typical family and their everyday struggles. Reading this debut novel, I found myself turning the pages faster and faster as the intensity built. Approaching grotesque, this novel had me from Chapter One.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Chinese and Ghanaian Wedding

Saturday, May 8 was the wedding day of Darren Fung and Gifty Ntim. Talk about an epic wedding!! Tristan and I arrived at St. Patrick's Basilica in the old port at 12:45 for the wedding orchestra rehearsal. I was playing trumpet (yikes) and he was conducting the group. The music was all arranged by the groom, and the orchestra was made up of hired players and good friends of the bride and groom. I am so glad I got the chance to play trumpet in that space, as the acoustics were incredible!
The reception was held at the Science Center, also in the old port. What a beautiful space that was as well! It happened to be a crappy weather day, but the sun made an appearance before the bride and groom arrived in a horse drawn carriage, and the view from the reception hall was beautiful thanks to floor to ceiling glass walls.
There was a 12 course Chinese Wedding Feast, speeches and tributes, a slide show with a beautiful arrangement (again, by Darren) of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, …

Twirly Whirl

Call me hippy-dippy but I've been thinking a lot about "thinking" lately, and also about awareness.  I have been playing the Freedom Game, which is basically a list of steps to raise thought-awareness. I've plastered the rules of the game, and colorful pages saying, "Freedom Game" with smileys all over the walls of the apartment. When Mr. F. Jooney got home from work on Tuesday, he thought perhaps I had joined a cult. I think it's really a cult one because no one else is interested in my little game. I find it liberating, however. Just the thought, "It's OK, these are only thoughts," can be comforting to me when I feel the hook of "shenpa" as it is called in Buddhism.

Today I felt the hook in the morning, and I realized it was because I took a hit to my ego. Once I acknowledged that, I could move on. "Oh just my ego? That raggedy old thing?" The other times I felt the hook were when I was very hungry. During those times…

Toujours Gay

So I have been spending a lot of time on my own this past week. I did really well at first, by focusing my energy on baking sweet potato pie, reading my book, and doing some very necessary grocery shopping. Two days ago, though, I encountered a level of boredom that I had not previously experienced, so I decided to trim my bangs. After trimming my bangs (quite successfully if I may say so) I decided the ends were looking a little dead so I would trim those two. Now I was getting into it, and since things were going so well, I decided I could probably handle putting in some layers. So naturally, I went to Wiki-how-to articles, and researched. Unfortunately, this is where I went wrong. The author of the article assured me that by pulling up sections of my hair to the front, and snipping it off across the nose, i would have beautiful layers. INSTANT MULLET.
The next morning I dragged my feet down to the beauty salon where a very nice woman fixed me up for $25. Luckily, I didn'…